Saturday 27 February 2021

Conquer Your Fear

What makes us feel what we feel? Is it the weather, news or the people around us? The fact is all of these affect our mental state at a particular moment of time. So does it mean that if we distance ourselves from all these by hiding deep into the mountain, things will be different? That’s the practice of Buddhist monks where they believe that the only way to set themselves free from the entanglement of the world is to live a reclusive lifestyle away from the world. This may work but it comes at a tremendous costs. It means that they can’t be married and have families. They must cut off all their links to this materialistic world and devote their whole lives in seeking enlightenment.

But it does not make sense that the purpose of arriving to this world is to escape from it. We are here for a reason. If living in this world means suffering, so be it, we just need to learn to live through it. We need to experience every good and bad moments to learn from it. Some experiences may be unpleasant or even unbearable but the best way to overcome it is to face it head on and find the best solutions.

I feel very uncomfortable whenever there is something lingering at the back of my mind. It worries me because I can’t see it clearly when it stays in my mind. For example, there is a task that I need to accomplish today and I woke up in the morning thinking about it. The more I think about it the more I feel uneasy because there is zero progress by just ruminating about it. As soon as I spread it out on my desk and look at the problem in front of me, instantly I feel that I’m back in control. Calmness then overcome anxiety in that moment.

Nelson Mandela said it beautifully: “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.”

depression

No comments:

Post a Comment